Culture
Museu Diocesà de Lleida (Foto: joan ggk)

The Consortium was created from the membership of the two centennial collections preserved in Lleida: the archaeological, from the Institute of Lleida and heir of the fund that had nourished the old Museum Antiques, established in 1868, and the artistical, who had formed the old Diocesan Museum in Lleida , founded in 1893. Therefore, the museum is the result of the desire of putting together in one big container the architectural heritage collections of the territory.

More: www.museudelleida.cat

 

 

Castell de Mur (Foto: Ainhoa)

Mur Castle is a clear example of border military castle which expose the elements that make these constructions. The circular tower previously protected by a wall that is adapted to the ground, defining a unique morphology of rounded angles. It complements the overall the magnific Collegiate of Santa Maria, which preserves the church, the cloister and many of the surrounding units. The consecration of the church in 1069 was promoted by Raymond V de Pallars and his wife Valence, daughter of Arnau Mir de Tost.

More: www.castelldemur.com

Information provided by El Consorci del Montsec

Museu de la Conca Dellà (Foto: Gustau Erill i Pinyot)

The Hall of the Museum displays several Cretaceous fossils of dinosaurs found in many of the Conca Dellà deposits. These consist of a nest of eggs and dinosaurs bones that lived 65 million years ago, that is,close to the K / T boundary, the point at which these large reptiles became extinct and disappear forever . This is where lies the great importance of the archaeological area in Europe and worldwide, because it is about the last dinosaurs that walked on Earth, which can provide information to their extinction.

The museum offers a series of tours to different sites in the area, such as The Place and the main route Basturs outcrops where you can see eggs, bones and dinosaur footprints.

More: www.parc-cretaci.com

 

 

Montsonís Castle (photo: PMRMaeyaert)

Montsonís Castle was built in 1024 by Ermengol II in order to protect the territories recovered from Muslim domination. The fortification is located within the pilgrimage route to Santiago, which has a room for pilgrims.
In 1418 the castle was sold to Bridge Gispert, lineage that lasted until the late seventeenth century. The 1661 Francis Bridges III conducted a major reform which gives the castle its current appearance

Information provided by El Consorci del Montsec

Monestir de Santa Maria de Gualter (Foto: Borjaanimal)

Gualter Santa Maria Monastery was an initiative of Count Ermengol IV, who, in 1076, proposed the construction, giving him an important asset allocation. Initially, the community became a former Benedictine priory that depended on the Monastery of Santa Maria de Ripoll. The Romanesque church dates from 1207 and was consecrated under the advocation of St. Mary, St. Peter and St. Nicholas, also this time the monastery was subject to generous donations by county Ermengol VIII..

The temple suffered the effects of the Spanish Civil War, during which it was used as tinder, suffering heavy damage during the removal of the Republican troops.

Information provided by El Consorci del Montsec

Llordà castle marks the beginning of the transition from border military castles towards more residential ones. In 1033 Arnau Mir de Tost and his wife Arzenda acquired the fortress to the count of Urgel, Armengol II, and began an intense remodeling probably with the intention to settle down. Although this project failed to consolidate, the transformation of the set into a castle-palace became effective and led, among other reforms, strengthening the construction of the wall with three towers and expansion space intended for housing.

More: www.castelldellorda.blog.com

Information provided by El Consorci del Montsec

Col·legiata de Sant Pere (foto: Borjaanimal)

The construction of the fortifications of St. Pere in Àger was promoted by Arnau Mir de Tost in the eleventh century, as a fundamental step in the territorial reorganization of the Marca Hispanica. The castle stands on the ruins of an ancient Roman castrum, which was later occupied by Arab power.

The canon of St. Peter Roman, date of the first half of the eleventh century and the complete opus of Urgell leader. The whole college retains the fourteenth-century Gothic cloister, built at the behest of Count Pierre of Urgell and finished in the fifteenth century.

Information provided by El Consorci del Montsec

The ancient Abbey of Santa Maria de Gerri de la Sal is located in a space with no buildings, characterized by its slender belfry and steeple on three floors. The abbey church, with some minor additions, is the same that archbishop of Tarragona consecrated, accompanied by the bishops of Urgell, Barcelona, Vic, Girona, Lleida and Zaragoza and the counts of Pallars, 25 September 1149.

Hotel Santuari

Pla del Reial s/n,

25600-Balaguer (Lleida)    

Tel. +34 973 449 617

info@hotelsantuari.com

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.